Sunday, March 4, 2012

Motivation - Muddled

I am human, I need. I started reading The Four Loves, by C.S. Lewis *pauses for applause to fade* (I know I do this fourth wall soliloquizing overmuch, but it aids in keeping the reality of this medium in mind.). People love C.S. Lewis - he is like the Ben Franklin of Christian quotes. The old joke is that, "People will accept your ideas more readily if you tell them Ben Franklin said it first." - David H. Comins.

It makes me wonder, "What is it about a man that makes people long to trust him, take him at his word? Can I someday be such a man?" I am sure that Clive Staples Lewis never dreamed of his lasting influence and impact on theology and thinking. Especially in his space trilogy - He wasn't the finest science fiction author, but utilized the medium to air out some of his more theoretical ideas and concepts. The end of Perelandra is beautitful, but out of reach of my comprehension, though it is well worth the attempt to wrap my mind around it. The brain wants for exercise, for challenges to arise and force it to reconsider or refortify firmly held beliefs.

Back to the main point with which I opened - Four Loves begins with the splitting of the concept into two fields - Need-love and Gift-love. God is Gift-love to us, giving without reserve out of the deeper wish for the wellbeing of another.

"
[Do you think God cares to have me do his will? Is it anything to him?] I am sure of it. Why did He make you else? But it is not for the sake of being obeyed that He cares for it, but for the sake of serving you and making you blessed with His blessedness. He does not care for Himself, but about you." - George MacDonald.

As humans, we have Need-love for this Father figure, we are incomplete and unfulfilled without this gift of God. An example of Need-love is an injured or scared child in need of comfort of his or her mother - the craving for the knowledge that they are safe within their guardian's presence.

There are pleasures for humans. Ones in which there is a need to be satisfied - A drink of water when thirsty is counted deeply and thankfully. Lewis says that few men would ever take as much pleasure from water when they are satisfied as is. There is another appreciation-pleasure - one in which there was no need involved, but nevertheless contains a note of necessity of being enjoyed. Lewis uses the example of a wine taster whose palette is uniquely qualified and trained for fine wine. For the wine to be consumed on an ordinary man would not fulfill its full potential for being. The wine taster is able to take pleasure, nay, almost it is his duty to drink and experience the delicate, exquisiteness of the tumbler's contents. It is also the smell of a field on daily walk in the country, when the sun peeks out of the clouds, the wind picks up in the meadow with the scent of wildflowers carried in its wake. To not stop, and experience this unexpected moment of beauty is... well, to be unheard. Why should such a delightfully divine moment go to waste?

I have much to accomplish in this last week of school before spring break, and must rouse my motivation from its lethargy and use it to fuel my drive to finish well. I am to pause, soak in the wonder of the moment of life and vigor, then set my face as a flint and press forward for the glory of a man fully alive. We were made to work and reflect the image of our Father, of His love and creativity upon those around us. We are to be different, to shine with the knowledge that we are loved with the Gift-love of the Father, and can grant a portion to those in need. Rest in this Love, but take righteous action in Christ's Name. Thank you, My Lord, for this world which you have granted us, may I ever worship you with the work of My hands and the words upon my tongue. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment