Sunday, January 3, 2021

Relentless - Slow

My nephew will be one soon. And he is adorable, strong, and relentless. He grins and chortles and insists on exploring areas which range from being gently prohibited to firmly so. He does not know the danger of the latter, but he remains curious to push boundaries. He has learned that it gains him attention and he delights in being seen.

I love all my nephews and one niece. They are different and love in their own ways. My older sister's oldest son really considers things and delights in telling others his observations. He is fascinated by cars and hiking in nature and points out things along the way, "Did you know this? I just learned this! This thing is worth noticing and it is exciting to be alive!" It is a joy to rediscover things through the lens of his understanding. The middle child had his adjustment period to not being the baby anymore, but he has grown proud of being an older sibling to someone. He lives without fear and is learning how to communicate effectively. He loves jumping off of new things, being suspended in space before gravity reclaims him. He has gotten into reading too, which is something I share - when immersed in a story the gravity of reality loosens it's grip on you as you explore someone else's narrative and headspace.

My younger sister has my niece being her oldest child. And my niece loves showing me things. "Look at this thing I can do. I can do it myself. Isn't it great? I know what I like and how to say 'no' to things I don't enjoy. But come with me and witness my domain as a princess - a queen to be someday, but my responsibilities weigh lightly and my freedoms are high within my small world." My sister's middle child is affectionate and sweet. He loves to cuddle with people and be involved. He watches people and waits for his chance to join in fully. He loves like few people I know. And I hope that trust is not diminished by disappointment or difficulty as life goes on. My younger sister's youngest son is a being of kinetic energy, laughing like a tiny greek god as he runs about working his will upon the world. He wants to carve his name and legacy into everything he encounters. He will rush to grow into his own strength and expand what he can do.

It is the way of the world that the younger generations grow up faster than those who came before. The road has been paved by the previous wave and they can see the way forward, and want to catch up to be alongside their forebearers to blaze the undeveloped trail. I see the relentless press of time through the lives and maturation of those around me. Time is relative and my young relatives are rapidly progressing through incremental fractions of their lifetimes by leaps and bounds.

It is a wonder to witness and it inspires me daily to press forward in my own development, slow though it may be. It takes time to learn and my heart is impatient, my mind not as elastic as my nephews who see everything as fresh and new. May the Lord grant me patience and perseverance on this next year to learn wisdom and apply it in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment