Saturday, January 25, 2014

Communication - Confusing

It would be laughable if it wasn't so frustrating.
Communication within my family is difficult precisely because of the imprecise assumptions about the flow of information around the house.  It skips a few heads, we all nod and believe that we are on the same page, but are actually looking in different books.
Namely, there is the problem of my scheduling: I live my life in somewhat parallel to my family at this point. I only think to inform them of my tangentness in their plans when I expect them to intersect. Sometimes, I am surprised to discover that my participation in an activity is planned, but as my schedule is mostly free, (save the fixed points of college courses), it is usually amenable for me to be a part of those plans.

It is particularly ironic that given how available I am to communicating online, I appear to be the hardest to actually reach in the family. This paradox is not lost on my parents, and frustrates them when they do try to get in contact. I am not attempting to avoid their messages, but technology has lately failed me at key moments in the past week. They ask for solutions in which to better get through to me.  I don't necessarily have better ideas, and if I make suggestions, I feel like they will ask me what I do with my time.

Time is a curious thing. I am not good at putting an accurate measurable valuation on it, but have no wish to waste others' use of it.  The ways I choose to spend my time are sometimes frivolous and impulsive, but my madness keeps me sane for other, more important, moments. Truth is, that asking me whether something is worth my time or "of value" confuses me. Somehow, somewhere, somebody else can offer a price tag on my time. Those who do put a price tag on their time are subject to the judgment of others as to whether they would choose to pay for that person's attention to their problem.

But thoughts about how to begin down that path of evaluating my own value for services is a separate post for a separate time. When it comes down to details, it is difficult for me to justify me doing any individual action with financial or philosophical logic that it was the best choice available at the time.

(Well, except for the existential salvation that doing something creates meaning, which is absent from the choice of non-action, which is still something, but harder to quantify. Though often, there are moments in which I do wistfully wish to do nothing. It is a break and pause in which starting points in other directions can be taken. Staring into the abyss of doing nothing is enough to frighten somebody into leaving. Having to deal with pondering yourself and your life choices is akin to someone looking into the shadow they cast and trying to run faster, away from it into focusing on something else as a distraction.)

The above is why opening any philosophical door is dangerous. Once open, many unexpected guests wander through the portal and start to party in my head. It is not as easy to shut the door, be a buzzkill and tell them to shuffle off to the back of my brain until a better time comes. Perhaps in the middle of the night when I am helpless to affect anything on that cosmic scale.

Back to communication. That was the original spur to this post. Now you might have an idea of how frustrating it can be to get anything through to me. I cannot even write a blog post to my original point, get to the heart of the matter, and bow out with dignity. However, I do feel that this illustrates MY position much clearer than if I had taken the previous sentence's advice.

In the end, I want to be more conscientious about my intentions when concerning my family. I cannot assume that they know what is in my head, nor that something that I told one member of my family had been passed on to the rest. I have to pay careful heed that the people are aware of me as I am of them. To think of others rather than absently thinking that things will work out if everybody serves their own best interests. It may work in Adam Smith's idealized economic system at large, but in detail, the economics of human interaction are rife with complications and are delicately balanced.

1 comment:

  1. Intense introspection with a resolution at least to the communication point.

    ReplyDelete