Friday, January 3, 2014

Secondary - Thought

This discipline is not proceeding as planned. Today started off nicely though, having a breakfast outing with my father and two younger siblings. My father lamented the loss of his hearing over the years, saying that he took it for granted for years, now he realizes more acutely the value through experiencing its fading. He smiled at the younger ones, remarking that they did not think of the future, entrusting their continued wellbeing to my mother and his care.

I value my time with my father; his insights are honed by years of experience and analysis. He doesn't care much for politics, but he does take care with people. It shows in his life and in his relationships, I admire him greatly as an example and influence. My education is confusing at times, as I realize that absolutes are no longer available. It isn't so much more a compass by which to steer a career course, but a series of quadrants by which to map out particular areas of emphasis and differentiation.

My father recognizes that his college experience was in a different world than the one I inhabit now. That jobs are not as readily available with a college degree, but are more competitive and encourage flexibility in commitment.
When I was homeschooled by my parents, they stressed the content of character above academic excellence. The focus was not in the quantity of achievements, but in the qualities of the person doing them.

I know that this is technically my own life to live, but I owe much of my motivation to not squandering the gifts which I have been give. I do not thank my family enough for the amount of time and love that they have lavished generously upon myself and my siblings. It is an honor and pleasure to be their son, and even when I feel faint and insecure about my future, I remind myself of the first chapter of Phillipians: "I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first dayuntil now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

My parents have lived their lives in an effort to embody these and many other words. I want to be a living testimony of the good news and grace which have been bestowed upon me. To reflect upon it and refract it in my actions. May the Lord grant me the strength to carry on, and the courage to stand firm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment