Friday, October 10, 2014

Anniversary - Forth

I remembered that I had made an anniversary honoring post for my older sister and her husband. I told my sister that I would make an effort to make one this year as well.

I don't recall whether I have done it these past two years. Though I could easily check, I think that anything that spurs me to make an effort to write shouldn't be self-questioned. Therefore this superfluous introduction as I talk myself through this.

Four years. It doesn't seem that long ago to me. But it is wonderful and it makes me very happy to notice and know.  Truth is, that I feel like I shall always be somewhat in her shadow, but I enjoy the shadows. It makes it ever so much easier to observe proceedings as they take place.

I have always admired her, and it gives me even more joy to know that she is in excellent hands. Her husband, John, is one of the finest fellows I have had the pleasure of knowing.  When he began courting my sister, he asked my opinion on their relationship as her sibling. I replied that I had no such reservations, it baffles me that he considers me one of his best friends.

It is one of the highlights of my week whenever I get to see them, to way they interact and support one another is a beautiful thing to witness.  They both have a knack for making work fun, of using whatever tools they have available to engineer a fun solution to any creeping possibility of boredom. They both go the extra mile in their efforts to add a personal touch to their projects. To make sure that those affected by the result are pleased as punch, whether they would ever notice WHO did the little things isn't as important as the things being done.

They are active, but are not so consumed by their schedule's demands to miss the opportunity for quiet moments. Kels and John have taught me many things, in games and in life.  Whether it is a fond cribbage match, original Super Smash Bros. on the N64, or telling stories, their company puts me at ease.

I did not manage to raise a mug of coffee in salute, but was able to share bottles of IBC root beer with them earlier this week.

Traditions change as the people within them shift.

May they shift gears together for many more years, as they did in their manual Civic, until it becomes as instinctual as an automatic transmission in their current Intrigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment