Sunday, February 23, 2020

Mindfulness - Memorial

What should I mind?

It is a question I have been asking myself lately. I pick it apart into the different interpretations and layers of what and how I should answer. 

"Mind (1) - memory"
a) Recollection: 
What should I remember? Memory is a curious thing, depending on the lens and emotional ties I have to the setting. There are depressions in my mind like a record, times when I made a mistake or miscalculated an action. Times when I should have kept my mouth shut, others where I should have said something, & in my hesitation missed my window of relevance. There are memories of which I am fond, when I managed to be present for something wonderful. Scenes that play before my inner vision, causing me to wince or smile accordingly.

b) Power of remembering/c) Retention in memory: 
What should I keep fixed in my memory going forward? How should and will I focus upon and deal with these records I hold. There are people and places which I treasured, but have lost the rhythm to sync comfortably with where I am and where I was. How to bridge these gaps and use what I've experienced to build new memories.

"Mind (2) - Commemoration."
This definition focuses on celebrating or consecrating a past event. What important things have happened that I want to hold sacred and whole.  Occasionally, I want to whimsically declare a certain day as worth remembering as an annual event. But I forget to write it down as so, or even if I do, I often misplaced the notation. Besides, there are enough official days celebrating something or another. Every day is special to some group for some reason. Whether it be "talk like a pirate", "bacon", "pancake", or the often invoked "opposite day." These everyday celebrations are often forgettable as well. I looked up today out of curiosity. Apparently, the historical website saw fit to say that in 1985, Indiana University basketball coach Bob Knight threw a chair during a game. In 1919, Benito Mussolini formed the Fascist Party. As history goes on, something interesting will occur on any given day. But what should be recognized? I have a while to figure this out, and if I keep aware, this may grow into a offhand hobby.

"Mind (3) Opinion."
I don't know. I saw this in a draft on the same day in 2020, from initial thoughts in 2015. I don't know why I didn't publish this. It is very on brand for me still. My opinions have likely changed in the intervening years, but my approach in analyzing them has remained consistent. Most of my opinions are connections looking for conclusions and avoiding contradictions. I should generate more of them as an exercise & perhaps share less than I do in their formation period. The seeds of the ideas should grow at their own pace & time & not be rushed along before they are ready. Otherwise they might be choked & lost among weeds of doubts and/or wither under the harsh scrutiny of full daylight.
It is my opinion now in 2020 with hindsight that I should have published this five years ago. But time will prove whether it is better for the delay. Words can find their mark in their own timing. I hope this proves encouraging & helpful to you, my reader, as this reminder has been to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment