Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Rocks - Rivers

I recently got to catch up with an old friend I haven't been able to see in a while. It was nice to reconnect & see areas where we have both grown & been excited about each other's steps in life.

My friend is a rock, and I am a river. He holds the line firm with a face of stone looking into the future. Time may wear at him, but he stands & resists it hardily. If you chip away at him, pebbles of wisdom & layers drop off. It is a challenge to try to go deeper with him. Not because he is shallow, but because he makes you work out an approach for how to break through. Making sure that you are using good & worthy tools of questions. He will challenge weaker efforts to breach him as laughably insufficient & not well thought out. But his layers are analytical & lovely, and reward long efforts & exposure to his presence.

I am a river. I go for the lowest common denominator & my thoughts stream from there. I will wear people down patiently with a steady flow of words. I want to give words of life & affirmation, but if I am not careful, I can overwhelm my audience with too much information. Often I am content to burble cheerfully along, carving a rut forward along my path over time, recycling water & words through gassing off my mouth & accepting new information & feedback to add depth to my memory's banks. I can get held up by roadblocks & resistance, frustrated that I cannot break through to a person or overcome a problem. My focus collects in these problem areas of my flow being broken, I redouble my efforts to pressure through. Sometimes I succeed, other times, that wall holds firm & I end up getting sidetracked & pressing off on a different tangent to work around the edges of the conflict to a different destination.

It is a go

No comments:

Post a Comment