Sunday, June 26, 2011

Whisper - Direction

"And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind:
And after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: and after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?
And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away." - 1 Kings 19:11-14 (KJV)

Elijah was desperate, his life was in danger of the most fearful woman in Israel, Queen Jezebel. This lady was so vengeful that her name became an eponym - a name that defines a concept so well that the name and the concept are synonymous. Elijah was cut short in his pity party of considering himself "the only God-fearing man in Israel," God informed his prophet that there existed a remnant of 7000 who had not faltered in serving Him. Elijah was not unique in his service, and that realization cut short his wallowing.

However, God doesn't always tell us in distinct terms what is best for us, although Christians often wish he would. Free will is too valuable and interesting for God to intervene in a verifiable way. I often think he is more involved than we recognize, but less so than he is accredited as doing actively. My point is that human decisions often reap what the person sowed without divine malice or favor. God has already bestowed grace upon us, which is translated as 'unmerited favor.' What more can he give once He presented us with the offering of His Son's life as a means of reconciliation?

Rich Mullins was talking during a concert and deadpanned to the audience, "Sometimes, you need to be a little quiet, cause God doesn't always talk so loud. I wonder why He does it. Sometimes it makes me mad. But it don't do to argue with God, cause He always wins. Yeah, he'll bloody your nose then give you a ride home on His bicycle."
While I don't claim to know what story lies behind the curious last statement, Mr. Mullins was a genuine and earnest fellow, who truly loved his Savior and presented it so beautifully in the lyrics he wrote. That reference is between God and him...

Curt Cavin, a sports journalist once said, "I am pretty good at my job - but if I am asked a job related question that I myself cannot answer, I have a list of contacts who I can call to learn the answer." We are not expected to know everything, it is our weaknesses, our chinks in our armor, that make us human. If we were faultless, there would be no need for anything or anyone else to complement our lives. It is the gaps and voids in our lives that allow us to realize that we need each other. No man is an island, though some may feel like peninsulas, there is an ever-present, loving father who picks us up when we stumble, and gives us answers to our questions when He sees us mature enough to handle the reply.

Eventually, we as His children are expected to mature, to not stumble as often or as hard. That balance comes with time, experience, and dedication. We need to exert ourselves, venture forth into the light and truth to be found in Christ. "Further in and further up" as is written in C.S. Lewis's triumphant conclusion to The Chronicles of Narnia. But, as in the course of the book, the course of events sloped downward into a living nightmare before the wonder and glory of Aslan's final entry into the land. Our lives are never alone.

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me." - Hebrews 13:5-6 (KJV)

Even when the trail we travel appears monotonous, when the storms of life thunder and wail, when the prospects of our salvation seem lost, we have an intercessor in heaven, a High Priest who listens to our cries and understands our pain. If it were not for pain, we would not cherish so sweetly the blessing of health. Similarly, we learn from the silence to enjoy the time that is spent in hearing His voice. These trials on Earth will fade away when faced with the beauty that is our Father's house.

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also." - John 14:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment