Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kindler - Flame

"Sometimes if you received an answer the question might be taken away. Some of the Villagers had privately said that this was the only properly wise thing that they had ever heard Thrashberg say, and after a short debate, had put it down to chance."
-Mostly Harmless, by. D. Adams

What inspires you? As I was writing this title, it occurred to me that it was akin to the approximation kindlier, a state of compassion and awareness to the comfort of others. While that is not my original intent, I would be pleased if it was thought of me. Alas, I cannot conceive of all the possible ways that others may construe my work, thus, I may gain the upper hand temporarily by putting them in an introspective frame of mind.

What inspires you? At the end of the day, all I can really hope to do is to spur you into contemplation. I do not necessarily know you, reader, and am admittedly not an infallible and omnipotent being. However, I can attempt to put you on the path to He who, I believe, does possess both those qualities. I am only a traveler as well, "A stranger here myself," as a companion once confided in me with a smile.

Yes, that is my inspiration, why I do what I do. I want others to think, to know themselves, their faults as well as their virtues. Both are valuable - knowing that a hostile word or action will cut you deeply, prepares you for the initial blow and the healing process to follow.

I want to follow truth wherever it is to be found. I believe in absolutes, for life without them cannot be worth the effort. It is the striving for, the learning of, these ideals that make this existence into a story worth the living and telling. It is the process leading toward the end result.

What inspires me, you ask?
Douglas Adams' wit, which was in turn inspired by P.G. Wodehouse (among others), the musings of friends, the ever-present, living Word of God, and the determination of the Saints "of whom the world was not worthy."

What do you strive to leave as your legacy? More than words are the meaning, the thought, the idea. When the language that a work of literature was inscribed upon fails, the concept and idea might still survive in memory.

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, by D. Adams.

No comments:

Post a Comment