Monday, October 31, 2011

Eternal - Fragile

I have a sense of trust built into the everyday - I expect machines and appliances to meet my needs more often than malfunction horrifically. I bought an Underoath album entitled "They're only chasing safety." The cover artwork is an innocent soul with an transparent oxygen mask, staring ahead in hope. Though the band itself is earsplitting and riotous, they still hit a nerve - People are accustomed to being safe and comfortable. When this privilege is revoked for even short periods, we panic like Linus without his security blanket.

We like the illusion that we control our own lives, it gives us confidence and boldness in taking action. In reality, our existence is so dependent upon other factors, trusting that people and the products they create will save us time and effort - we don't have to do everything. I can focus on doing schoolwork, use a school provided terminal, know that the clocks in the buildings are accurate, have confidence that my fellow students will behave civilly, etc.

I wonder a lot, and not always productively. The thought that puzzled me the most was - What if God had not created THIS world. He was certainly under no obligation to do so in my worldview. What if I had never existed in this human form, or at all? I am not talking about reincarnation, but how would I see the world differently? Descartes' "I think therefore I am" has been touted as profound for any number of reasons - my current reference to the view that "I cannot imagine not thinking or being."

Like David, I wonder "What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" Psalm 8:4. I don't deserve any of this, and should show my appreciation for this unmerited opportunity by making the most of it while I can. Who am I? I am not merely my body, limbs, and mind. They are merely members of a corporeal self to a spiritual personhood. One of my father's friends once commented - "We are not physical beings in a spiritual world, but spiritual beings in a physical world."

I have to trust each day, not always consciously (that would be tedious), but I can be gracious. My life is not my own, and I will entrust that its keeper knows how best to care for it. I will uphold my part and pursue wisdom, knowledge, and companionship on this earth. I will prepare myself for the challenges to come. My safety is not yet compromised, but I will not fear when it may be penetrated by reality's weight. I have a savior, and He is not afar off in paradise, but had suffered and known or joys and shame. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment