Monday, October 3, 2011

Intake - Output

It all started with a twitter account. I activated one when a friend from facebook put out a request for more followers. I quickly found that it wasn't particularly exclusive - that he linked his twitter and facebook posts, making this account to be a redundant pursuit.

Determined not to make it a total loss, I started to "follow" YouTube personalities that I enjoyed or thought interesting. One such fellow was Alex Day (YT user:nerimon), a young British atheist who was friends with the cheerful and popular Charlie McDonnell (YT user:charlieissocoollike). He tweeted about a collaborative channel called Sarcaschicks, which appeared quite a clever and intriguing title. The five girls have now completed three weeks of vlogs, each week a different subject for them to discuss and add input.

They are still figuring out what to do with the channel, and test out different genres in their fledgling entries. I liked watching the Wednesday and Thursday vloggers' views and opinions, but the remaining three have language problems. Monday swears as to add adjectives, Tuesday does it as a form of liberation from the social constraints of language, and Friday? Well, Friday spits out curse words as reflexively as a turtle recoils into its shell.

This raises a problem with me - I don't swear for multiple reasons. Major uses are outlined in the descriptions above - Attention/Emphasis/Discouragement/Vocabulary. I don't care to bring attention to myself; to use them for emphasis is to take a coward's way out of finding the right words; I try to be civil and polite to others, even when they are obnoxious or forward; and I don't care to have black in my palette of colorful language.

No comments:

Post a Comment