Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Outtake - Input

What I am trying to say about expletives in language is that I prefer not to deal with the taboos or push the envelope. But when I first listened to music and speakers tossing such words like darts, I winced as they hit my ballooning filters with thundering "pops." I worry that as I grow older and more accustomed to their noise and the barbed slurs, that I will inadvertently join their ranks with a slipped tongue.

The answer is easy - respond in kindness and gentility towards friends when the subject arises, and avoid watching footage of those who habitually swear. Some of my young friends enjoy the #1 subscribed YouTuber Ray William Johnson. His angle is that he picks 6 videos a week and showcases them in two shows, adding commentary and background as he sees fit. The famously diminutive New Yorker is indeed gifted as a commentator, but he swears as a habit. He self edits out his swears with a conventional "bleep," but their meanings are clearly implied. In one episode, Ray was reviewing a friend's video - a young girl singing a song accompanied her father on an acoustic guitar. He consciously made an effort not to swear, as he knew the young girl would be watching.

However, I have tried to curtail watching Ray, as he grew bolder in reaching popularity and added more footage to the ends of his videos, his outros were rank with his outtakes of missing the script and swearing to himself to mentally prepare for the retake.

I don't want to lapse into such behavior, so I am trying to cut the list of those I follow on YouTube. Also, I haven't the time to spare in exhaustively viewing all the people I do like on YouTube - my work and school are becoming more demanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment