Monday, September 12, 2011

Asking - Fullness.

I am thankful for the mornings when the light passes over a waking world. I am thankful for the peaceful night, lit by the live coal taillights of the cars ahead. I am thankful for my restful room, serenaded by crickets and refreshed by a whispering breeze.

This sums up the three aspects of my day I treasure most, the moments that I gaze upward in wonder and gratitude.

The passing of my friend's great-grandfather, a great and steady man who loved life and family. The suspense of waiting for homework and exam results - the knot in my stomach, the catch in my throat of baited anticipation. The light panic in my mind as I survey some of my textbooks - reading the words and passages, but the understanding of their connotation eludes my grasp.

These are loosely the things that sober my spirit and raise my eyes heavenward, pleading for wisdom and grace.

I do not have many friends like the one I mentioned above. He and his great-grandfather had a special bond - the older gentleman was joyful and ingenious in his work-ethic, leaving a clear and beautiful legacy behind. He lived life to its full, but not to excess, he built his own house and watched his grandchildren grow, living next door. He had common sense and a giving spirit - I see his traits lived out in the lives of my friend and his father. Truly those we leave behind are the greatest testimony to how we chose to live. This man loved his Savior, and left this world with a willing heart and clear mind.

May we strive to follow in the footsteps of the giants who have tread this path before, until we grow to our potential, leading the next generation in the way straight and narrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment