Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dissection - Rebuilt

I learned a bit about poetry today,
Made me scared as mine isn't exceptionally heady.
Some artists layer and edit their work,
Painstakingly measuring the words for their worth.
I am not quite as through -
My pieces just have to flow.
I listen intently, for the next part.
Hoping that it rhymes and cuts quick like an aimed dart.
There is an off-key melody in my head,
pushing me to form line after line of this, butter to bread.
Shakespeare's sonnets had their own meter song.
He churned them out for his plays, 14 lines to completion.
Read [Shall I compare thee to a Summer's Day?] repeatedly and it will mean many a thing.
Such as the season chosen for the subject is more mature having weathered the storms of spring.
The sun mentioned in metaphoric sense a few lines later,
hints that his love might be a bit quick to anger.
The dimming directly after is also mood based,
As with life giving light fading from the celestial face.
Is it even a love poem? Love is only mentioned with "L-Y"
(Though throughout the entire breadth of the poem seems to be implied!)
What do I know of poetry? It is not much, 'tis true.
I will strive to improve much, this year, leaving judgment up to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment