Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Drab - Otherwise

"Does the end draw ever nearer?
Do the wounds of love ever fade?
Is it a miscalculation when I continue to fear her?
Even though she withdrew the blade?" - J.M. Fairwitch, "Studies in Night-terror" (1872).

I had a satisfying day, the tendrils of procrastination did not wreck havoc on my work ethic. I chanced into running into a few former acquaintances and held short updates on their summers. I finished Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins, which acted as a defibrillator to my flat-lined first blog. i posted a long string concerning the trilogy in short. I didn't lay out any spoilers for the finale, but hopefully baited enough meat to entice readers into converging upon this tasteful YA novel offering.

Why did I start this blog if I had one already? The truth was, FalchionFiction was originally intended to review only books. I had been advised before I started not to review books I disliked, so that cut out a lot of my reading pool. Content issues with provocative and intellectually stimulating books sliced another section from my options. I hate to recommend a book that would prove problematic for my audience's tastes.

So, I expanded my intake to music and movies as well to fill review space. However, I am not an accomplished reviewer of either subjects, so it felt like I was sending out substandard media. I held by the maxim - If I haven't anything to say about a matter of meaning or notice in a material, it is best left alone.

I experimented a little with poetry, which is still rough to this day, but to my internal rhythm it syncs well in flow where it falters in structure and styling. But it remained that I wanted to restrict FalchionFiction to reviewing rather than experimenting. So I took an extended leave, hoping that I would happen across a stunner that would rekindle inspiration to share with my limited audience. Weeks became months, I knew internally that my habitual behavior had turned against me - if I don't make a ritual of doing an action, when I fail to perform the action, I stop. I reason with myself that everyone deserves a break, but the longer I put off my return, the less likely I am inclined to do so.

I'll expand on my story tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment