Sunday, September 11, 2011

Timely - Rest

I treasure my weekends, a breath of peace in a week of commitments and challenges. I press their length for what they are worth, burning midnight oil in knowing that I will not have an early morning commute. But rest is mandatory - my mind and body can't withstand the abuse of long hours of activity. There has to be a benefit to the toll it wrecks on my consciousness, but school and work are not the only justifiable reasons. I have been in the company of friends this weekend. I would sacrifice much more than my bubble of introverted recuperation to show I appreciate their influence in my life.

I took a nap today, an indulgence I rarely grant myself - sleep is for sleepers, the day for action. As my inclination lately has been to reach into the twilight for a few stolen hours of awareness, this burning of the candles at both ends will avail no one. Discipline! Self-control! I must hold myself to a standard before I can be taken seriously for praising the virtues of proper restfulness.

Ah, well. My nap was most comforting. It gave me hope to carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment