Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fragile - Commitment

As I look around today,
What I see and hear fills me with dismay.
It appears that men are callous and cruel -
Using the girls around them like power tools.
First playing with one, to test her bounds,
Then distracted by another, drops her to the ground.
She picks herself up, hurt by the fall
And bemoans the male race as beasts - all.

The boy's interest was only surface and incomplete.
To be treated like an object isn't very nice,
Yet when fashion drapes girls like meat
It is a horrible device
To give a hound a sniff of easy prey
Is to invite disaster - she will be treated that way.
If treated like an animal long enough,
You can't blame the man for being rough.

If there is such a thing as self-esteem,
The girl cannot fault another for breaking its dream.
If, like an new toy, she doesn't want to be seen.
She should take herself seriously and dress appropriately.

There are fools and immature people of all ages -
Ignore their juvenile jeers, let them bark from their cages.
For their childish streaks won't carry them forever.
They will be doomed to try desperate endeavors.
The charmers and wheedlers fall short of the prize.
They seek only fleshly beauty, greater virtues to them are denied.

I hope to cultivate a gentler breed.
By waiting I can act upon my need.
I need to be patient, holding the faith
Not all girls are superficial or needy - some act with grace.
How can I conduct myself to be worthy of her love?
(I pray that God guides me with wisdom and words from above).

Andrew Peterson's "World Traveler" treats the subject with care.
Learning to love a young wife as a treasure most rare.
For souls are so fragile, but are gifts of great price.
Once given, only the finest of care will suffice.
I must learn to love her, tell her she is fair
I desire no other, captivated by her stare.

I must remember that love is held for only one.
A lifelong promise until death's final embrace.
I cannot play with girls' hearts for laughs or fun
Once a trust is broken, it will not be replaced.
So I will rest - knowing in the fullness of time
That I will cross paths with her, then together we shall shine.

1 comment:

  1. Kaleb, I really like this one. Expressive and eloquent, you have become a poet. Keep nurturing that, sir.

    ReplyDelete