Friday, September 30, 2011

Ringer - Caricature


I have had a remarkable day, but am ready to go to bed right now. Suffice it to say I had an interesting diversion from my regular work flow. The children's librarian informed me that a costumed character couldn't make it for a scheduled program and asked me to fill in for him. I considered this with an awkward and flattered grin - On one hand, I didn't have to do it and I am not usually wired that way. On the other hand, it was nice to be considered for substitution and I didn't have to say anything in character.

I agreed to assume the position of a beloved childhood icon by a full body suit. It was a unique experience, and granted be a new respect for those who did "this" for a living. I was gently teased by my co-workers, but was comforted by the thought, "Eh, I'll have a good story to tell my family when I get home." My mother chuckled when she heard it and insisted on telling my sisters that I dressed up as the Berenstain Bear Papa Bear for a children's program.

The other interesting event was going to The Gear in Franklin, Indiana to see my friends perform a gig. HelloSunday was having their final show in a while - one of their two guitarists is departing the group. Jesse's ballad Storybook Ending was a highlight of the night for me - I could actually hear the words to melody of the piano and the rhythm of Matt's drums. All four of the bands I heard had instruments that drowned out their lyrics. It was hard to fully appreciate the thoughtfulness of a song if I couldn't make out what it was referencing. Overall, HelloSunday had a high energy performance with a lot of movement and onstage jumping balanced with beautiful interludes.

After their set concluded, Silver from the Flames came onstage. I was taken aback by their youth. The oldest member of the group, Jamie, was thirteen. His younger brothers were quite impressive, with the instruments dwarfing the players. Logan, the 11-year old guitarist was clearly enjoying himself with his fingers deftly traversing his loosely strapped guitar. Matt was the 9-year old drummer, and he also refused to be daunted by his youth and size, whipping his drumsticks around in precise patterns.

I only caught a glimpse of the Celtic rock group Flatfoot 56, because the journey homeward beckoned as the night waned. I could hear their music clearly through the glass panes of the venue, so I imagine that in terms of sound, they were a rollicking success. I compromised and bought Black Thorn, their latest record, then snapped the above picture and left. I wish I could have stayed, I enjoy the carnival gone mad sound of that genre.

It is events like these that remind me to appreciate life and not take what I have been given for granted. Thank you God for humbling, deafening, wonderful days like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment