Thursday, September 15, 2011

Buswise - Trip

I enter the gateway to a hiss and a beep,
This transport familiar, into the aisle I creep.
Ah! But this time, a rare problem is met.
The transport is full - there is no place to sit.
Smiling to myself, as this opportunity is unusual to me.
I have an excuse to stand for the duration, keep light on my feet.
I have done this before long ago as a game.
'Twas called aisle surfing, where superior balance brought fame.
I grabbed a bar overhead to steady my position,
As the transport belched power and rumbled forth to its mission.
A few more pauses to pick up passengers heading to other places
It is really quite fun to me, as I move and make spaces.
I draw out a book from the bag at my back,
Hooking my arm 'round a pole to compensate for my lack
Of attention, if we should decelerate to a halt -
Stumbling into a stranger's lap is an embarrassing fault.
I listened to Daft Punk's "Da Funk" through headphones,
The heavy house music provided a comforting drone.
I smiled and nodded to to fellow travelers staring in space,
Who were considering their future actions upon leaving this place.
I did the same in my own minor way,
This time was a break in my scheduled day.
Maureen Johnson's first novel kept me occupied,
'Key to the Golden Firebird' went by quickly during my ride.
I followed the author on a whim-created Twitter account,
Maureen's posts were an amusing, clever, stream of thought wrung out.
So I made a personal pledge to read what she wrote,
This was the fourth I had opened. (out of the eight and a third all told)
If curious about the third, it was a group collaboration.
'Let it snow' it was titled, with John Green and Lauren Myracle's illumination.
I haven't pulled that one from the library yet,
Maybe I will after I complete her personal set.
Finally, the end of my standing tour.
I leap off the public bus, into a light downpour.

No comments:

Post a Comment