Sunday, July 3, 2011

Addiction - Glittery

I collect things compulsively. It is a hobby of mine - collections of items lined in a chronological manner cements the idea in my mind that time is indeed passing. Occasionally I wander into a discounted bookshop and amble the aisles in search of a kindred soul. I especially like the graphic novels - though they limit the imagination and direct the conception of a character, detailed art like this should be worth much more than the initial price.

Pity that these artists are seen as wasting their potential. In my imagination, I see a social event at which an artistic soul's unique sense of accoutrement stands apart - "What do you do, sir?" "I am a graphic novel penciller." "Isn't that lovely, wait... You are a comic book artist?" "... Yes."
I imagine that the conversation lags from that point.

But, yes, I and a friend used to compile archives of the modern mythology movement's masterpieces. Like Geoff John's "Blackest Night" saga, Neil Gaiman's "Marvel 1602," and Jonathan Hickman's "Secret Warriors" run. All of which pay tribute to classic story-lines, while flipping their predecessor's work on a dime, redefining what has gone before.

Before this, I had a binders-worth of sports cards, showing an action shot of an athlete while the achievements were listed on the opposing side. This nifty form of tracking was rendered practically obsolete with the dawn of the Internet. Fan-made websites could chronicle the exploits of the desired athlete, providing video as well as professional images, if not interviews with the star.

Why do we collect things? I do it to chronicle time and personal growth. I have no grand dreams any longer of a mint condition item of value. I want to channel my energy in an activity or interest in a manner that is eccentric, distinctive, and harmless (to any life form, a portion of my personal earnings were spent in this frivolous pursuit.)

What is your hobby, my reader? Why does it hold an interest in your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment