Sunday, July 17, 2011

Anxiety - Hope

"It's like a clock ticking slow in a waiting room. It's like a doctor calling, but he's got no news. My heart keeps racing, I don't know what to do - You're giving me anxiety! Like a message in a bottle that nobody read; the famous last words that nobody said. Tell me what is wrong tonight - You're giving me anxiety!" - Anxiety, Good Charlotte (Greatest Remixes)

"Don't Panic!" I love that slogan that Douglas Adams made synonymous with the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. It is so easy to be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the problem at hand, the solutions lie neglected in the corners of your mind. I have a tendency to over-think matters, afraid that my actions will render an even more disastrous result.

But a failure to act at all leaves the possibility that the problem could grow worse and become more urgent. Make a decision and stick to it, it makes things simpler, but be sure to consult another person if you have the time. Do not act rashly, for reason has a tendency to desert your decision making at the time.

About the larger problem of Anxiety - it won't leave you, fear is ever present. I am told that former students have final exam nightmares years after graduation. War veterans still wake in cold sweat, hyperventilating from muscle memory and adrenaline spikes. But, I don't live in fear. I remind myself that I am a servant of the Most High, the Creator of the Universe. If I am in His hands, nothing can separate me from the purest love in the world. These trials today are but shadows of what heaven is to be. This is all I have in my grasp - I cannot control many things and variables, but I can strive to put forth my best efforts and put it all on the line.

"In all my years as a priest, I have learned two truths: There is a God, and I am not Him." Father Cavenaugh, Rudy

"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." - Ephesians 6:13

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." - Romans 8:31-37

No comments:

Post a Comment