Friday, July 15, 2011

Florish - Sprezzatura

Some people float through life so easily. As if boundaries, limitations, and fear are as mist to the keel of their boats. They drive forward with a purpose, focused on their goal. All this is done with the social equivalent of a smile and a bow.

There were some days I saw these people and thought them fakers, then realized that because I didn't feel like that, I felt no one had a right to do so. That was so laughably selfish - it was not my concern whether they were on masquerade or genuine. I was responsible for my own behavior and reactions, I could not fault another for having the follow-through to do something I wished I could.

We all have areas that need polish, if not major construction. But I may choose to learn from what I see in others, rather than bemoan their successes. We all have interests and skill sets that come naturally to ourselves, sometimes so much so that we take it for granted everyone can do the same.

For instance - I have proportional strength, one that can support myself on a competent level, but not overly impressive in bench pressing. I didn't commit my time and efforts to training to overcome this obstacle, and I would be foolish to expect it ex nihilo. I have a memory that retains facts and trivia, a database of quotes, anecdotes, and stories. However, there are some of my caliber who have honed this asset into constructing "Memory Palaces." This is a mental construct that uses the imagination to shape a Three dimensional place in the mind to store items and imbue them with meanings. A card catalog system with style. Gamblers and Magicians can memorize placements of cards in a standard deck using this discipline.

I, however, am daunted by the magnitude of the idea. My mind is more akin to an ancient English Manor inhabited by Post-Modernist artist. Some new facts, some old bits, all juxtaposed and discovered at inconvenient times - usually appearing when the tools are not applicable to the current situation.

I cannot do many things, and refuse to attempt others. I am thankful that I have friends and family to keep me straight and correct my blunders before they cause disasters. They forgive me my faults, as I try to compensate for their blind spots when they risk being exposed. Friendship is a two way street, and I am glad for a few nudges to keep me in the right lane. Whenever something is not natural for you, there are three courses: Quit, Try harder, or Find Someone who can do it. The first is not an noble option, so I would advise one of the latter two.

No comments:

Post a Comment