Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Burdens - Relationships

I don't always understand others when they speak of the Lord whom they serve, but I know when they have a relationship with Him. As with any friend we have, we may not know how they reveal themselves to different people. Even I don't even possess the courage to be completely vulnerable with other people. Even more so, I don't think that they could handle the weight of my soul's burden upon their shoulders. Only our Creator can understand our struggles, and ease their weight. God never unloads Himself upon us, We must accept his aid and offer.

"Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." - 1 Peter 5:5-11

He is faithful and patient with us, but reveals Himself and guides our lives when we are ready and mature enough to act upon it. We might catch glimpses to keep in our hearts when listening to those Christians who have gone before.

I particularly enjoy reading George MacDonald, a man who had a gift for presenting ideas in a story that are implanted into your memory until the situation awakens the seed. MacDonald was not a lyricist, in his attempts at songs in his works, it clangs to the modern ear, the meter by with it was recited long forgotten.

Corrie Ten Boom had anecdotes about her father's wisdom when confronting issues and questions she asked. When she heard as a girl about sex, she inquired her father what it was. As a response, he asked her to carry his suitcase. Corrie replied that his suitcase was too heavy for her young arms. He smiled and said, "Just as you are not yet old enough to carry the weight of my suitcase, so with your question. When you are old enough to bear the burden, I will answer you. Until then, I will carry it for you."

I am not ready yet for many things, so I must wait patiently, meditating and studying. I must learn to listen, as the green lady in Perelandra stated, "I am now older," after listening to the opposing counsels of Ransom and Weston. I must not grow tired and faithless if I am not granted a manifestation of my prayer, but commit more to the wisdom of knowing the reasons why.

To encourage others in the faith, not through fruitless conflict, but in an open and civil forum. I must also keep in mind that God is not accountable by the morals of Man, but is a faithful and just Master of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment