Sunday, July 24, 2011

Turntable - Replay

I don't play an instrument, but I do enjoy listening to them. Some people purport taking music seriously, but play it as a soundtrack, a background noise to their life. I don't do things halfway - if there is a song I like, I want to listen and share it with others. It is cliche to say I like all music, for I do not - risque beats and obscene lyrical hooks have no welcome purchase in my mind.

Enjoyment of music is an odd human convention. Sure, birds and creatures use their gifts to fill the air with the symphony of their noise, but humans use tools to create and arrange their musical compositions. We use objects that we do not naturally have in order to resonate sounds we find exciting, soothing, or curious to our ears and heartbeat.

I don't have much to say today, so I will list my current 25 favorite songs in no particular order.

1. Goodbye, Goodnight - Jars of Clay
2. Peace (Communion Blessing in St. Joseph's Square) - Rich Mullins
3. Ready for the Storm - Rich Mullins
4. I'll Carry On - Rich Mullins
5. Unwinding Cable Car - Anberlin
6. Lullaby for a Stormy Night - Vienna Teng
7. When the Rain Comes - Third Day
8. Show Me Your Glory - Third Day
9. Mile Away - Capital Lights
10. Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
11. 100 Years - Five For Fighting
12. This is Home (Switchfoot Greatest Hits album version) - Switchfoot
13. Drunken Lullabies - Flogging Molly
14. God's Own Fool - Michael Card
15. The Little Girl - John Michael Montgomery
16. Chronicles of Life and Death - Good Charlotte
17. No One Like You - David Crowder Band
18. Foreverandeverandeveretc. - David Crowder Band
19. Sing of your Mercy (Valley Song) - Jars of Clay
20. Frail - Jars of Clay
21. Everybody's Changing - Keane
22. Storm - Lifehouse
23. Shadow of the Day - Linkin Park
24. Leave Out All the Rest - Linkin Park
25. Be with You - Rich Mullins

This is merely a jumble of what I see on iTunes, sedimentary songs flowing like rivers through familiar ruts in my mind, and hopes for future enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment