Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pain - Rebirth

Why I do these titles escapes me, I can't seem to break the habit, even when they don't describe what is below written below. Disambiguation will be my next title, it is such a full sounding word.

The third lesson I learned concerns growing pains and challenges. When I was a youth, I didn't think twice about my ability to perform actions - they just responded and that was that. That grace left me when I went snowboarding one winter. It was my first time, and I spent most of the time scooting down the hill on my posterior rather than riding. It wasn't for lack of trying, and I had a patient, blue eyed teacher who smiled at my efforts and urged me onward.

The next day, I woke up more sore than I had ever been in my life. But the accomplishment of trying a new endeavor was worth the fallout. The next time I went 'boarding, I might not have been getting major air, but I was standing up when I finished the hills. Control came with time and the perseverance not to give up, even when I failed so miserably in the learning.

Trials are never pleasant, neither are challenges. They are called so for a reason, and sometimes I think the Father looks down, laughs kindly of our struggles of the moment - seeing that His child learning to walk today, that they might run swiftly someday. Bigger mountains lie in our paths, I wonder if these problems we face are mere anthills in comparison. We may not see the end result, and can only travel down the hill as it comes into focus - rolling with the bumps and avoiding collisions with other riders. Sometimes the ride is exhilarating, leaving us breathless with adrenaline pumping in our eardrums. But other times, we need to support the efforts of another soul who is still struggling with the basics, whose wings haven't matured enough to fly freely.

I hope that I will be observant and compassionate enough to recognize those when I see them, to address them with words of encouragement and good faith. Just as my friend waited on me, so must I be ready to help others in the same way.

1 comment:

  1. The patient, blue-eyed teacher said of your introspective post, 'Man, I didn't know I had such an influence...'

    Very nice composition. I love to comparison, and it brought my mind back to those chilly and exhilarating 'boarding trips. It was a thought-provoking post, and your illustration was a good one. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed this post immensely.

    ReplyDelete