Friday, July 22, 2011

Work - Rest.

I was awaiting today with much excitement and vigor - I was to rejoin my former companions in a day of labor. I was too old to be considered for the long haul of the week long grind of volunteering, but this last day, I was allowed to participate. It was more of a treat to labor alongside my father than even my young friends. It is such a blessing to have such an active and enthusiastic father, one who takes the time to do these things with me. The weather was been intense and humid, averaging nearly 100 degrees. Into this environment, my friends and I armed ourselves with mowers, trimmers, and loppers to tame an injured friend's unruly yard.

The last 30 minutes of my efforts were spent culling the tall weeds and grass with a push mower. Up and down slight inclines and corners where branches brushed my face. Finally, I completed my rounds, crying in triumph at my accomplishment. I am quite grateful that this landscaping is for a good purpose, for I am not up to pursuing this as a career.

Man was made to work, to enjoy the process of reaping the fruits of his labor. In doing so, he may feel justified and content that he has earned his period of rest and recuperation. That is what I plan to do - to recoup my strength, and sally forth again to essay some other task.

Much respect for those who do engage in the business of landscaping. I salute you! Now to shower...

1 comment:

  1. K-man, great to read about the work-day through your eyes. I am so happy that a group of P/O kids was sent out to work at Sim's, and that they thoroughly enjoyed the fellowship with the family. Like one huge family in Christ. How wonderful. Love to you back home :)

    ReplyDelete