Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sunlight - Grass

The day is bright and lively, the warmth and energy it exudes is overwhelming.
I pulled on my old sneakers for yard work, snapping branches with a pair of loppers.
As I labored, I remembered thinking of how time spent like this seemed unremarkable until viewed through the lens of the past. The smell of freshly cut grass, the sounds of laughter and shrieking of younger siblings, the taste of crisp, chilled water. These are the supports of memory, allowing an everyday occurrence to be stored in your long term memory.

After many days of this, the wonder and joy of labor is diluted by familiarity. That is why we note the absence of people and objects more than when their presence is manifest.

"Sunny Days, keeping the clouds away. I think we are coming to a clearing in the brighter day. So far away, still I think they say, 'The wait the heart grow fonder,' or stronger, I can't quite remember anyway. But if you're waiting for love. That's a promise I'll keep, and if You don't mind believing that it changes everything. Time will never matter." -Sunny Days, Jars of Clay (Who We are Instead).

I plan to enjoy today, not only to look at the past with longing, and the future with hope, but the present with purpose. I wouldn't trade my life for anyone else's, for I can't fathom thinking or being like anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for rambling and giving me insight. You word things so well, and your vocabulary is so rich. I love the words. You should write a book, sir. A good, fulfilling one. And I will read it and be one of the first to buy a copy for my personal library.

    ReplyDelete