Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Connectedness - Isolation

I was willing to throw myself into the gears of the internet. While I was initially reluctant to have even an email account, I now have a blog (this and and my reviewing FalchionFiction one), a facebook page, a twitter account, and now Google +. Yet with all this activity and profiling, I haven't gained anything of value or meaning. People are usually too concerned with creating their own material to notice mine.

It is a freeing thought to imagine that whatever I say, only people that care will find it and understand. I don't consider things sometimes, and muse to myself a lot. It is nice to know that others are as interested as me in the consideration of ideas. As aforementioned, yes, I am available online as a willing responder to questions asked. However, I am entertained even if no one has the time or inclination to do so.

I find people and their idiosyncrasies to be interesting and even endearing in some cases. I may not have many to comment on what I have to say, but I know I am heard by those who matter.
I love quotes and the thought put behind a clever turn of phrase or observation. Parameters force people to be creative, and that is where I believe Twitter received its allure. Why 140 characters? Because it should make you think twice before you share something - can you think of a better word to convey what you really mean? Of course, there are trolls and fools to be found in any media, wanting to be noticed.

I don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings when I put myself on the line. In my mission to provoke others to think, I want to be as wise as a serpent, and harmless as a dove. (Matthew 10:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment