Saturday, July 23, 2011

Reunion - Felt

I saw a video today about the unfortunate souls in other countries, and my heart went out to the children. But what can I do about this feeling? How can I make a difference with my station in life?

There are children just as desperate and needy within the confines of America, but they aren't looked upon in the same light. When I went out of country, I noticed the homeless more keenly than when walking downtown stateside. I am conditioned by the dictates of common sense that many who panhandle for money don't really need it.

But I do know that there exist others who would and could need a hand up, a boost to succeed in life. How can I tell? How can I help? I am told to distrust these people I see, but am I turning away from a needy person or from a societal parasite? I am told that those who want work can get it, that those who have a good attitude and a willingness to serve faithfully will receive their due. I am told that this is one reason why immigrants and internationals are working American jobs - they will work harder and be grateful for opportunities as they arise.

I am not calling Americans out on being lazy or shiftless, though many are; I just happen to think that we have become a proud and blind nation. We are a country of people with a sense of entitlement - we "deserve" a good salaried position upon graduation. That there are jobs beneath our dignity and education. I have friends who graduate from college, get a job, then dump it for a better paying one a couple of months later. This "pads" their resumes and gives them the impression for "versatility." Businesses outside America often don't share this mentality. You get a job for some Japanese corporations, and you are loyal for life. These entities treat their workers as their most important resource, above even profit.

Faithful workers are created when they know that their employers are looking out for them, that they have something towards which to work - a common goal. Christian businesses should ideally operate in this way, we are to be as servants to all. My own knowledge of these matters may be incomplete, naive, and even foolish. But some ideals are worth the fighting, worth the hope that arises in my heart. But I cannot give what I myself do not possess, so I must use this period in my life to study and learn such skills that will position me to do so.

I must work to provide for myself and my needs before I can serve the lives of others. I hope that the world still accepts loyalty, faithfulness, and commitment as desirable attributes when that day comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment