Monday, July 4, 2011

Holiness - Beauty

"In the beauty of holiness, we see you, Son of righteousness. So we bring all that we possess - to lay at your feet. In the place where your glory shines, Jesus, lover of all Mankind, you have drawn us with love sublime, to make us complete.
So I pause at your gates once more, as my heart and my spirit soar. And I wish I could love you more, My God and My King.
Is there tribute that I may bring, was there ever a song to sing, that can ever express my love, the work that you've done. Could I ever conceive of this, all the depth and the height and breadth, of the riches I now possess, because of your love.
So, I pause at your gates once more, as my heart and my spirit soar. And I wish I could love you more, My God and My King." - In the Beauty of Holiness, by Robin Mark.

I was thinking of this song today. It was once routed through my ears so often as to lose the appreciation for the words. I picked it up again later and was drawn by the passionate pace and gratitude expressed in the song. It is utterly beautiful and lovely, may its message sink into the depths of my soul and my attitude be reflective of this. I am reading Ragamuffin Gospel, by Brennan Manning. In chapter six it is referenced that Abraham Joshua Heschel, a rabbi, while recovering from a near-fatal heart attack whispered to a friend, "Sam, never once in my life did I ask God for success or wisdom of power or fame. I asked for wonder, and He gave it to me."

Such a simple request, and even if it be fable, legend, or story, it is a beautiful sentiment. C.S. Lewis converted to Christianity after one nightlong discussion with J.R.R. Tolkien and another apologist, when they convinced the fanciful Lewis that the Bible was the "Myth that was true."
Myths are more than stories, stronger than allegories, they are stably, morally and culturally rooted.

I want this life to hold childlike glee and joy. "The last part of any magic trick is that you cannot make it only disappear - you have to bring it back again. You'll go back through the trick, looking for the secret, but you won't find it - because you aren't really looking." - The Prestige (Christopher Nolen)

No comments:

Post a Comment