Saturday, July 30, 2011

Motion - Study

The two words in the title comprised a phrase that was frequently repeated in my childhood home. The underlying theme was "You are wasting time and energy! Work at it harder, do it faster, make it a better job!" One trip is more efficient than two sloppily rapid trips. Think before you commit to something, consider the import of your actions. This was drilled into me day after day, it makes sense, but it takes time to do so.

I am impatient at times, preferring to do something decisively and quickly, not always stopping to check how my results will be viewed. In games it has the effect of a surprising opening gambit, but soon spirals into predictability. One who determines to live in the moment and act on impulse is a slave to whim. Many a good beginning has a bad end. I have enjoyed today and am satisfied that my choices have had been harmless and inconsequential. However, these decisions I make today will shape tomorrow's choices, ad infinitum. Life may not be a closed circuit but biblically speaking, you will reap what you sow.

May I cast my seeds of thought with purpose, rather than scattering them aimlessly like today. Motion is but the result of effort over time, its value lies in that it is a measurable manifestation of those changes.

"Never mistake activity for Progress." - John Wooden

No comments:

Post a Comment