Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Company - Chili

I am grateful for the lovely weather of late - it has a cheerful effect on my days. I was invited to lunch with some of my friends. Men who are worthy of the name, raising their sons in the way straight and narrow. I am grateful for their examples in my life, and am studying in the footsteps of one of their careers.

The chili parlor's menu doesn't have any poor choices - everything is tasty, meaty, and fresh. This is a favorite frequent of the group, with the bar-stools arranged around a glossy, hardwood table. The men chat about the state of our nation and its leaders, of the news of outrageous happenings in their beloved country. I listen and sip my Pepsi Dew, a fountain special that causes the regular cashier's eyes to roll. He claims that my Dad has "wacked out taste buds," but services my requests nonetheless.

I soak in these men's company, wistfully hoping that I will have an equivalent some day in the future. I want to have this kind of group to surround me in the future - a fellowship of God-fearing men who enjoy life and delight in each others' different perspectives.

After the last spoonful of chili is scraped from the bowl and final morsel of burger is swiped from the basket, the men laugh and disperse back to their offices, conversing excitedly about their next rendezvous and plans. I gain so much from these days, and am strengthened by the truth and righteousness reflected in their hearts. For they are all serving their Savior, then their families. It is a beautiful and holy sight for my youthful eyes to witness.

"The Glory of God is man fully alive." - Saint Irenaeus (From Waking the Dead, by John Eldredge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment