Saturday, August 13, 2011

Reminiscing - Recycling

I have had to change bed stylings recently - The bunk bed of my youth is being sold to a younger family who needs it more than I do. It is an interesting orientation, forming a T rather than an I. The top two sides of the T are taken by a desk area on the left and a series of five drawers on the bottom half of the right side - three shelves as the right face of the top.

I liked it when we bought it - it had nooks and crannies for storing things. The desk area has always been given to me. Its cork-board interior held tickets from my trips with my family to sporting events and road travels. I had to cull the nostalgic packratish tendencies, and use the stubs as future bookmarks (of which I have too many already!). Also included on my desk are two newspaper clippings, both from the Indianapolis Star, and both dealing with insightful cartoonists.
The first is by Gary Varvel - the "Court Approved Prayer" editorial cartoon from around 2005. It is a politically correct version of the Lord's Prayer, and struck my fancy as clever at the time.

The second is an article concerning Bill Watterson, the beloved creator of the timeless strip Calvin and Hobbes. It is a retrospective look at the man who was quirky, brilliant, and famously conservative as to the rights of his creation. He turned down a movie deal, strip related merchandise, and other streams of alternative revenue. The strip was the strip, and he fought to keep it in that creative vein.

My desk drawers also were purged of my knick-knacks and supplies. I quickly found homes for many forgotten items, remembering how I first procured them and the meaning behind the items. I found a battered, rotating medallion given to me by a friend for a birthday years ago - it can be wound to a certain year in the month slot, while a second layer will align the days of the week to the month involved. It bemused me that it would hold true for 37 years, so I've kept it in sight, realigning it every so often as I thought about it.

I have an unfinished drawing of Marvin Harrison, that quietly talented former Colt. His speed and acrobatic, one-handed snags made him a favorite in my family. But, injuries sapped his quick step and his long reach, he faded as Reggie Wayne entered his prime as Peyton's go-to target.

This and many other things I have revisited in my mind, curiosities from days past. I know that when I move to another home in the future, that it will be like this on a large scale. Hopefully, I will be more compacted by then, ready to leap forward into a brave new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment