Thursday, August 18, 2011

Name - Honor

More than a title, less than a line.
The second makes me bridle, the three will define.
My name is a gift from my progenitors at birth,
But it is more than a tag showing my worth.
Some aren't uniquely bestowed upon the bearer.
Others try too hard to achieve this, creating a terror.
For the first and the middle are chosen for the child.
The last, a surname, is a legacy - whether troubled or mild.

I will strive my best to carry this name.
To hold it as a standard and keep it from shame.
I will hold my head high in the knowledge so true
That I have two wonderful parents who've supported me through
Trials and tests that came with my training.
Though the circumstances be stormy or raining.
My mother and father have weathered the whether's
Of morality and courses that will bind me as a sapling's tethers.
The lessons they taught keep me on the straight and narrow -
This name that I hold is as bone to the marrow.
It defines my actions, a spur to clear every stone
It is no longer mere words, but a precious jewel which I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment