Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rumpelstiltskin - Pt.4

Upon reaching the Manor's wall, my brother scaled the tower vines once more, relieved to have arrived in time to uphold his friend Raisley's honorable word. But once he crossed the threshold of the window sill, he saw no sign of the girl, but heard footsteps on the stairway. The door swung open, revealing James Reabnor, flanked by a pair of men clad in grim steel and darkly hued garments. James lifted a whistle to his lips, sounding out a rapid series of notes. Ilias spun towards the window to find an iron mesh net cutting off his escape route. Men had been lying in wait one floor above, to drop the toxic screen over the opening. Ilias's heart sank into throes of panic, as one of Reabnor's guards sent a poisoned knife into my fair brother's shoulder. He sprang for James's throat, but was caught mid leap by the fist of the second soldier.

Upon regaining consciousness, Ilias found himself in a cage of tempered iron. It was a coldly solid reminder of why the People had a tradition of caution with humans. Ilias's mouth was bound with a gag of henbane and willow rod. His captors were silently holding vigil over the tight prison cage. When my brother's eyes flickered open, one of the two guards left the room.

Soon after, James entered, his smile looking like a death mask to his captive. "Who do I have the distinct pleasure of addressing?" he said. Ilias scowled. James went on, "Of course, it is out of my pleasure that you yet live. These two are not trusting of your kind, so if you are not willing to meet my terms, I fear I must withdraw my protection. I know you are capable of many things, as evidenced by your earlier display which gained me much wealth. You are fond of my daughter? Then my demands may not seem so troublesome - it is out of fatherly concern for her future that I have taken these measures..."

No comments:

Post a Comment